Tuesday, December 2, 2008





This was today’s project in most challenging class. It is a fabric collage. I ripped tons of strips of fabric from donated damaged shirts. I then mixed up a paste of Elmer’s glue and water. You could also use a fabric stiffener but this is less toxic. I put the mixture in bowls for each student. The students then dipped the strips into the mixture. At this point I received two different reactions from the children, some loved to touch the glue and got it everywhere. Others refused to touch it and used a spoon to arrange their strips on the cardboard.

The end result was a beautiful abstract textured panel.

In most of my lessons I try to have a sensory experience for my students. This was a great lesson because it has several. The fabric strips had different textures. The glue was different to touch then other liquids they have access to. And finally the end product is really interesting to run your fingers over.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

super interesting! love the innovative look of the finished pieces. I had to look and look to figure out what was done and with what materials! love how you got all of your students involved. love how you recycled materials.