This was a project that was a part of my Texture Unit at the beginning of the Year. Students pressed air dry clay into a plastic lid (from a food container) Then they picked many different objects to press into the clay and leave a mark, creating lots of textures. The tiles were left to dry and in the next class the students painted them. I had them pick two colors only and split the tile down the center and paint each half so they didn't end up with a muddy color.
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
These are part of a printmaking unit that I did with my students from room 30. Student glued cardboard shapes on to a large square of cardboard. Then they rolled it with ink and pressed it onto their paper. Next they inked with a darker color on the cardboard and off set it a bit when they placed it over top of their first print.
Monday, January 19, 2009
Here I am working with one of my students. She has made a lot of progress over the year. She finally feels comfortable with me and we paint together almost every class. Although she only paints for about 10 minutes at a time she feels proud to have a canvas all her own.
The paintings seen above were created with two essentials in my room; liquid watercolors and dippty dye paper. The watercolors are so useful, if you don’t already have some put them on the list for next year. The paper absorbs paint like fabric and doesn’t break down.
The students used medicine droppers to apply paint to the paper. It spread out and soaked in. They then stamped circles on their paper with half of a paper towel roll. I added a handle on the other end of the cardboard tube so the student could hold on to it.
I have done monotype printing in a few of my classes. They always turn out very unique. These were done by pressing bubble wrap and the ribs of corrugated cardboard into the spread ink. In the second layer of color the students scraped waves in the ink with a piece of chipboard.